ISMS Doctoral Awards
Click here for a list of past winners.
ISMS 2022 Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Competition
The INFORMS Society for Marketing Science (ISMS) is pleased to announce its ISMS 2022 Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Competition. This dissertation proposal competition is held annually and recognizes the best doctoral dissertation proposals on important topics in marketing science.
The dissertation proposals will be reviewed and ranked by members of a committee of experts consisting of Professors Hema Yoganarasimhan (chair, University of Washington), Song Lin (HKUST), Kanishka Misra (UCSD), Kosuke Uetake (Yale), and Yi Qian (UBC). The committee members cannot be an advisor to a student in the competition and must recuse themselves from decisions involving any students from the same university.
Application Eligibility Criteria
Any student member of ISMS is eligible to participate in this competition, provided that:
- The candidate or his/her advisor/chair has been a dues-paying member of ISMS for at least two years (including the current year).
- The candidate is registered at an accredited university to receive the degree of PhD in business or marketing.
- The candidate’s advisor/chair certifies that the proposal for the dissertation has been approved by the candidate’s committee, school or university by September 30, 2022.
- The candidate’s advisor/chair certifies that the dissertation will not be completed by December 31st of 2022.
- The dissertation has not already won an ISMS dissertation award or grant in prior years.
ISMS encourages applications from PhD students of all backgrounds, universities, and research traditions and actively encourages applications from PhD students from underrepresented minority groups in marketing academia. ISMS is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion within our field.
The (a) Vithala R. and Saroj V. Rao ISMS Doctoral Dissertation Award, (b) ISMS Doctoral Dissertation Award Funded by the Sheth Foundation, and (c) up to three ISMS Doctoral Dissertation Awards will be awarded to the best proposals. Each award winner will receive $5,000. A subcommittee of the ISMS Board, consisting of the President, the Treasurer and the VP of Education will decide the number of winners based on the ISMS budget and the number of submissions. Only submission materials submitted by this form before September 30, 2022, will be considered. (https://forms.gle/UFBkrVnEeevoXrdi6)
Evaluation Criteria: The committee will use the following criteria to judge the proposals:
- Problem importance
- Likely theoretical contribution, and/or advance in marketing science
- Likely contribution to marketing practice
- Appropriateness of method/research design
The winner(s) are expected to be announced by December 31, 2022.
Responsibility of Award Recipients
Award recipients will present their research at a special session to be organized as part of the 2022 Marketing Science conference.
For any further questions and information regarding the submission of both proposals, please contact:
Jiwoong Shin, VP Education, ISMS
Professor of Marketing, Yale University