Call for Submissions
The 2024 Gary L. Lilien ISMS-MSI Practice Prize Competition
The INFORMS Society for Marketing Science (ISMS) solicits entries for the 2024 Practice Prize Competition, the culmination of which will take place at the:
2024 ISMS Marketing Science Conference
Goal: The goal of the Practice Prize is to highlight and celebrate outstanding marketing science work that has had significant organizational impact.
Prize Committee: The Prize Committee will be chaired by Professor Lan Luo (Vice President Practice, ISMS).
Eligibility: The Practice Prize is awarded for outstanding implementation of marketing science concepts and methods. Prior publication of the work in any peer-reviewed journal does not disqualify it, and several past finalists and winners were published before the prize. We also welcome submissions that are working papers, regardless of whether the paper is under review or not. Entry to this competition does not preclude the paper to be submitted/published in any journal of the authors’ choice.
The methods used in the paper must be innovative, sound, and appropriate to the problem and organization, and the work should have had significant, verifiable, and preferably quantitative impact on the performance of the client organization. Historically, two types of entries have been recognized: (1) a history of successful applications across time and/or organizations and (2) a single, impactful application. For the latter type of entry, the work should normally be completed within the five-year period prior to the year of the competition: work done between July 2018 and June 2023 will be eligible to enter the 2024 competition. Anyone is eligible to enter except members of the judging committee.
Entry and Details: Entrants must submit:
· a 500-1000 word Abstract of the work, and
· An Impact Statement, a supplementary summary of what was accomplished and its organizational impact in enough detail (normally 500-1000 words) to judge the appropriateness of the work for the competition.
· Supplementary technical material that provides sufficient technical detail to permit the Prize Committee to judge the technical merit of the work. Completed working paper or published work is also welcome.
Usually, three or four competition finalists will be selected from amongst the entries.
Finalists will present their work at the 2024 ISMS Marketing Science Conference and the judging will take place immediately thereafter. The winner (or, in unusual circumstances, winners) will be announced at the Conference.
For a summary of some previous Finalists see Luo and Pauwels (Marketing Science 42.1 (2023): 6-9) https://pubsonline.informs.org/doi/epdf/10.1287/mksc.2022.1412
1. Send your drafts for feedback*: Ongoing till December 31, 2023
2. Submissions due: January 8, 2024
3. Finalists notified: February 15, 2024
4. Finalist Papers due: April 15, 2024
5. Feedback on final submissions: May 16, 2024
6. Presentations at the 2022 ISMS
Marketing Science Conference June 2024
* If desired, the Chair of the committee will help guide potential entrants on how to develop the most compelling and rigorous entry, how to obtain client support and endorsement or address any other questions they might have.
Examples: To view presentations from past finalists and winners, see https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrS2aW6TiebaWVMjGGFH8oQ/featured
Published articles of previous finalists can be found in various issues of Marketing Science.
Direct questions about the process or eligibility to the Chair of the Practice Prize Competition (email@example.com) or Gary Lilien (Glilien@psu.edu). If you feel as though you have an impactful piece of research in an industry setting but are uncertain if it is appropriate to the Prize, please do not hesitate to contact me or Gary.
Looking forward to hearing from you,
ISMS Vice President – Practice