A single prize will be awarded once every two years during odd calendar years by the Applied Probability Society (APS) of INFORMS for an outstanding contribution (book, paper, set of papers) to applied probability.
A plaque and a $1,000 check.
To recognize outstanding contributions to applied probability.
To be eligible, the contribution (a book, paper, or set of papers) must meet the following criteria.
- The contribution must be in the area of applied probability;
- Given the award year is y, the contribution must have appeared (in the case of a set, at least one member of the set) in the open peer-reviewed literature with official publication date within the interval January 1, y-4 to December 31, y-1;
- It must be written in English, or have an accurate English translation available.
Nomination Deadline: April 1st in odd calendar years.
- The decision on the APS Best Publication Award will be made by the Applied Probability Society Prize Selection Committee.
- The committee will use the following criteria in making judgements:
- the extent to which the contribution advances the state of the art of applied probability,
- the originality of the ideas or methods and/or the degree to which existing theory or methods is unified or simplified,
- the new areas of application it opens, and
- the clarity of exposition.
- Nominations will be solicited via notices to the APS INFORMS Connect community.
- Nominations may be made by anyone, including the nominee. Nominations consist of:
- a description of the significance and contributin of the nominee's work and
- a copy of the nominated publication(s).
- Nominations should be sent electronically to the chair of the Prize Selection Committee via email. Click here for a list of current committee members.
- Nominators and nominees will be held in confidence by the committee, with the exception that they may consult (in confidence) with anyone they deem necessary.
- The committee will inform the APS chairperson of the name of the winner at least three months prior to the INFORMS meeting. The chairperson will in turn inform the winner, and ensure that the plaque and check are available for presentation at the INFORMS