MSOM Student Paper Competition
DEADLINE: 11:59PM EDT, Sunday, June 28, 2020
The INFORMS Manufacturing and Service Operations Management Society (MSOM) announces the 2020 Student Paper Competition. The awards are given annually for papers judged to be the best in the field of Operations Management.
The first prize is accompanied by a $500 honorarium. The second prize is accompanied by a $300 honorarium. All other finalists will be awarded $100. The number of finalists will depend on the number of entries. Typically, there are six finalists including the first and second place winners.
Finalists will be invited to submit abstracts of their paper for publication in Manufacturing & Service Operations Management (M&SOM). Please note, under INFORMS policy, the publication of such abstracts in no way conflicts with submission of the full manuscript for review to any INFORMS or other journal for publication. In addition, the M&SOM journal would like to invite all finalists to submit their full-length papers to M&SOM for a fast-track review, and the acceptance decisions of all submissions will be made after 1 round of review (i.e., within 6 weeks).
All finalists and winners will be awarded at the MSOM business meeting at the 2020 INFORMS Annual Meeting in National Harbor, MD (November 8-11, 2020). All finalists will be invited to present their paper in one or two special sessions sponsored by MSOM at the 2020 INFORMS Annual Meeting.
There are five conditions for eligibility:
- Entrant must hold a student status on or after January 1, 2020, and the research presented in the paper must have been conducted while the entrant was a student.
- The submitted paper must present original research conducted primarily by the student entrant. Some assistance by other individuals (such as the student’s faculty advisor) is permitted; however, the entrant’s primary research advisor must certify that the student’s share of contribution to the paper exceeds 50%.
- Entrant must be a member of the MSOM Society on the date of submission.
- The paper must not have won a prize (1st-2nd) in a previous MSOM student paper competition.
- A student may submit no more than one paper to the competition.
A complete entry consists of:
- A Word document or a pdf stating the entrant’s contact information, the contact information of the entrant’s primary research advisor and all co-authors, the paper title, and appropriate keywords for the submitted paper.
- The paper in completely anonymous form and PDF file format, with a length of at most 32 pages excluding the appendix but including tables, figures, and references, and strictly compliant with all submission formatting standards of the journal M&SOM as described at http://msom.pubs.informs.org/. The paper must include all material necessary for judges to assess its technical correctness, possibly included in an appendix of no more than 8 pages. The file name should be the short title of the paper. Papers that do not satisfy submission guidelines will be disqualified.
- An electronic pdf file of a letter signed by both a faculty advisor and the entrant attesting that the entrant and the paper satisfy the eligibility conditions.
The above three documents should be sent by the entrant as e-mail attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete entries must be received before 11:59PM EDT Sunday, June 28, 2020. It is the entrant’s responsibility to allow for appropriate time to enroll as a new member of the MSOM Society (approximately 5 business days). Any question(s) related to the competition should be sent by email to: email@example.com.