In this Issue:
Message from the Section Chair
Dear member: I hope this message finds you well.
This newsletter provides some updates on a number of initiatives that the Section is pursuing including the data-driven competition, our webinar series and the student paper series. Our section conference is now officially scheduled for June 28-30, 2021 in a virtual format. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the organizing committee Goker Aydin, Ozge Sahin and Ruxian Wang for all their hard work. I also would like to encourage everyone in our community to register and submit an abstract. Please go to the conference website (here) for details.
I am pleased to report that we have formed two fantastic committees for our annual Section and Jeff McGill Student Paper awards.
- Section Award: The committee is being chaired by Srikanth Jagabathula (NYU Stern) and includes Ming Hu (UToronto Rotman), Jun Li (Michigan Ross) and Gustavo Vulcano (UTDT). The nomination deadline is July 1st, 2021. For more details, please visit the award website (here).
- Jeff McGill Student Paper Award: The committee is being chaired by Yonatan Gur (Stanford GSB) and includes Ali Aouad (LBS), Kimon Drakopoulos, (USC Marshal), Kris Johnson Ferreira (HBS), Hamsa Sridhar Bastani (UPenn Wharton), Nikos Trichakis, (MIT Sloan) and Fanyin Zheng (Columbia GBS). The submission deadline is July 21st, 2021. For details, please visit the award website (here).
I want to thank all committee members for supporting these important awards.
Finally, I would like to take this opportunity to announce that Ilan Lobel (former chair of the Section) has been appointed as Co-Area Editor of the Revenue Management and Market Analytics (RM&MA) Area of Operations Research, joining Gustavo Vulcano (also a former chair of the Section) who continues as Co-Area Editor. Ilan is replacing Ramesh Johari who served in that capacity for the last three years. Please join me in congratulating Ilan on his new editorial position and thanking Ramesh for the service he provided launching the RM&MA area of Operations Research. Also, two of our current board members, Daniela Saban and Ozge Sahin, have joined the RM&MA area as associate editors, so congratulations to them as well.
If you have any suggestions or questions, please feel free to reach out to me. Also, don’t forget to invite your colleagues and students to join our RMP Section (details on how to join at the end).
Eli B. and Harriet B. Williams Professor of Operations Management
The University of Chicago, Booth School of Business
[Return to Top]
Data-Driven Research Challenge
The RMP section is partnering with NetEase Cloud Music, one of the largest music streaming companies in China, to offer RMP members access to NetEase Cloud Music App’s impression-level data and encourage data-driven research on innovative marketplaces. In this competition, researchers will compete by building data-driven models using real data to address either some of the suggested questions below or questions of their own interest.
- 57+ million impressions/displays of music content cards recommendations
- 2+ million users from November 1, 2019 to November 30, 2019
- Data on clicks, likes, follows and user specific information
Example Research Questions:
- How could the company design the recommender system to minimize the number of inactive users?
- What are the characteristics and preferences of active users on the platform?
- How to design the recommender system to encourage more content creation?
- RMP members are encouraged to participate.
- At least one author must be an existing RMP member in 2020.
- Only one submission per RMP member.
- (Updated) April 30, 2021: Competition submissions deadline.
- May 2021: Judges to review submissions and select finalists.
- June 2021 at RMP Conference: Finalist presentations and winner(s) announcement.
Perks for Finalists:
- Fast Track at NRL Department of Revenue Management and Marketplace Design
- Competition review reports forwarded to Revenue Management and Market Analytics department at Management Science
More information can be found at: https://connect.informs.org/rmp/awards/data-competition
[Return to Top]
Practice Webinar Series
We launched the RMP practice webinar series last year to better facilitate dialogues between academics and practitioners. We plan to run the webinar series as a regular event every quarter. The first webinar took place on October 7, 2020, where Robert Phillips (Amazon) talked about “Pricing and Analytics - Challenges and Research Opportunities”. The inaugural event was highly successful with more than 170 attendees. The second webinar took place on February 10, 2021, where Vahab Mirrokni (Google Research) talked about “Recent Trends in Online Ad Markets: Robustness, Learning, and Automation”. The second event was another highly successful one with more than 230 registrations. Vahab’s webinar is available on our YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgyMy84OqP4.
We are also happy to announce that our third webinar speaker is Nicolas Stier-Moses (bio) currently a Director at Facebook Core Data Science. The webinar is scheduled for Wednesday May 12, 8pm EST, please mark your calendar.
[Return to Top]
Sixth Marketplace Innovation Workshop (Virtual)
May 24-27, 2021
The sixth Marketplace Innovation Workshop (MIW) will be virtual and will run every day from 11am EST to 2pm EST from May 24 to May 27, 2021. Workshop co-organizers are Itai Ashlagi (Stanford), Omar Besbes (Columbia), Nicole Immorlica (Microsoft Research), Gabriel Weintraub (Stanford), and Fanyin Zheng (Columbia). There will a mix of plenary speakers and contributed talks. Note that in past years, the workshop was co-located with the Revenue Management and Pricing Conference. This year, with the virtual format, the two conferences will take place at different times.
Submissions are now open. Submissions should consist of 1-page extended abstracts. The submission deadline is April 4, 2021 (11:59pm EST). More information can be found at: http://marketplaceinnovation.net/
20th INFORMS Revenue Management and Pricing Section Conference (Virtual)
June 28-30, 2021
Johns Hopkins Carey Business School
The 20th Annual INFORMS Revenue Management and Pricing (RMP) Section Conference will be hosted by the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. The conference will be held virtually, on June 28-30, 2021. Conference co-chairs are Goker Aydin, Ozge Sahin, and Ruxian Wang. This event is the premier forum for both academics and practitioners who are active in research and application in the fields of pricing analytics and revenue management.
The website is now open for submissions and registration. For general sessions, please submit an abstract that should not exceed 2500 characters – approximately one page. The conference will have "Spotlight Sessions," in which selected speakers will present their full papers and invited discussants will comment subsequently. In addition, the conference program will include "Practice Sessions," which will give practitioners an opportunity to share their most pressing problems and will provide a forum for discussion among academics and practitioners. The submission deadline is April 26, 2021. More information can be found at: https://carey.jhu.edu/faculty/seminars-conferences/informs-conference
Other Related Conferences
- 2021 INFORMS Business Analytics Conference (Virtual)
- POMS 31st Annual Conference (Virtual)
- 2021 MSOM Conference & SIG Meeting (Virtual)
- Hosted by the Kelley School of Business, Indiana University
- June 5-6, 2021: SIG Meetings
- June 7-10: MSOM Conference
- Website: https://msom2021.indiana.edu/
- 31st European Conference on Operations Research (Hybrid)
- 2021 INFORMS Annual Meeting
To become a member of the Revenue Management and Pricing Section, it is the easiest (but not necessary) just to add it to the regular INFORMS membership. Those who’d rather focus exclusively on the Section’s activities can become members only of the Section by calling 1-800-446-3676. More information can be found at: http://connect.informs.org/rmp/membership/how-to-join
Benefits of Membership
As a member of the Section, you will receive benefits such as our newsletter, registration fee discount to annual section conference, 50% off the subscription rate to the Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management, and listserver announcements. More information can be found at: http://connect.informs.org/rmp/membership/benefits
[Return to Top]