Suvrajeet Sen is Professor at the Daniel J. Epstein Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at the University of Southern California. Professor Sen graduated from Virginia Tech. with a Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering and Operations Research (IEOR) in the summer of 1982. Following his graduation from Virginia Tech, Professor Sen joined the University of Arizona as an Assistant Professor, and became a Full Professor there in 1994. After another dozen years at Arizona, he moved to Ohio State in 2006, and then to USC in 2012. Over the years, he has received research support in excess of $10 million for research on optimization models, applications, theory, and algorithms. Most notably, he has received continuous NSF funding since 1992 (except during his stint at NSF, 2003-2005).
Professor Sen’s research has appeared in all top academic journals in his field and his leadership has been acknowledged in several ways.
• Elected Fellow of INFORMS (2005)
• Co-winner of the INFORMS Computing Society Award for “Seminal work in Stochastic Integer Programming” (2015)
• Plenary Lecture: “Big Data and Big Decisions” at the INFORMS Conference in Nashville (2016)
• Plenary Lectures at International Conferences on Stochastic Programming (2001, 2007)
• Keynote Lectures at numerous international workshops, including Inaugural Lectures at Operations Research Society of India (2006, 2018), and INFORMS Service Science Conference (2005), and Lectures at Oberwolfach (German Math, 2018) and Dagstuhl (German Computer Sci., 2005)
• Distinguished Lectures at Penn State Univ. (2004), Texas A&M Univ (2017), and Arizona State University (2019)
• INFORMS Service Award, Distinguished Level (2017)
• INFORMS Tutorial Speaker (1996, 2000, 2001, 2017, 2018)
Over the years Professor Sen has been fortunate to serve the INFORMS community through some major efforts such as
• NSF Program Director for OR & Service Enterprise Systems
• Chair, NSF-appointed group to identify new research directions motivated by NAE Grand Challenges
• Led the founding of INFORMS Optimization Society (1995), and served as Chair (2015-2016)
• Led the establishment of a new journal: INFORMS Journal on Optimization
• Served on several editorial boards: Operations Research (1992 - 2012), including Optimization Area Editor (1996-200); as well as service on INFORMS JoC (1992 - 2003), and INFORMS JoO (2018 - )
Professor Sen loves participating in sports, but recent injuries have cramped his participation in some of them. Nevertheless, he still enjoys riding his road-bike. Finally, he also loves western (aka cowboy) hats.