2023 WORMS Family Care Award
The WORMS Family Care Award aims to support INFORMS Annual Meeting attendees who are primary caregivers for a family member. The award will partially reimburse recipients for up to $500 in costs associated with care and/or travel for family members whose caregiver is participating in the 2023 INFORMS Annual Meeting in Phoenix, Arizona, October 15-18, 2023. Approximately two grants will be awarded, with the exact number depending on the available budget.
The INFORMS Minority Issues Forum (MIF) has committed to supporting one deserving applicant who may qualify as an underrepresented minority. Refer to the eligibility guidelines listed below to ensure you are being considered.
Applicants must be current members of the Forum for Women in OR/MS (WORMS) who are officially participating in the INFORMS Annual Meeting, including giving an oral or poster presentation, acting as session chair, or participating in the Combined Colloquia.
Eligibility is limited to current students, post-doctoral associates, or early career professionals (e.g., junior faculty or professionals in their first five years of post-graduate employment) who meet one of the following criteria:
Please notify in your application if you qualify to be considered as an underrepresented minority (refer to U.S. Code Government Publishing Office definitions here). This would make you eligible for the MIF award. If you have more questions about eligibility, please contact Dr. Eduardo Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Parent or guardian of a child age 12 years or younger who is either also traveling to the conference and/or requires additional care while the parent attends the conference.
- Primary caregiver for an elderly parent who is either also traveling to the conference and/or requires additional care while the caregiver attends the conference.
- Primary caregiver for a family member who requires additional assistance who is either also traveling to the conference and/or requires additional care while the caregiver attends the conference.
- Up to $500 in expenses will be reimbursed upon submittal of receipts to INFORMS staff to cover extra expenses related to the care of family members, which are due to the caregiver attending the conference. This may include travel expenses for the family member and extra caregiving expenses at home or at the conference location.
- At most, one grant will be awarded per family, and priority will be given to those who have never received the award in prior years.
- Award winners will also receive free membership of WORMS (and MIF if selected for that award) for a period of one year.
Applications are due on Monday, September 4th, 2023. Applicants should email Chelsea Teimoori (at email@example.com) the following information with the subject line "WORMS Family Care Award 2023"
Award Selection Process:
- Statement of need (not to exceed 200 words):
- Why is attendance at this conference important to you?
- How are you participating in the conference (e.g., are you giving an oral or poster presentation, acting as session chair, or participating in the Combined Colloquia? Please provide the title of the presentation, session, or Colloquium you are participating in and your role.)
- Why do you need family care?
- What family care do you plan to arrange?
- Why are you requesting financial support?
- Estimated family care budget, including travel costs and/or caregiving expenses.
- Statement verifying applicant's eligibility from applicant's department chair or supervisor.
- Indication if you qualify to be considered as an underrepresented minority to be eligible for the INFORMS Minority Issues Forum (MIF) support.
The WORMS selection committee will assess the applications based on their stated need for travel support. Recipients will be notified by the selection committee no later than September 10th, 2023. Recipients should submit all receipts for reimbursement to Chelsea Teimoori no later than 30 days following the conclusion of the conference.
For inquiries, please contact WORMS President Dr. Angelika Leskovskaya (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Note: Family care must be arranged by the awardee. INFORMS and WORMS are not responsible for identifying caregivers and are not liable for any damages. However, a list of childcare resources available near the conference venue will soon be provided on the WORMS website.
Past recipients of the WORMS Family Care Award
2022 WORMS Family Care Award for the Annual meeting:
Sandra Buzon, Texas A&M University
Shubhi Asthana, IBM Research
2021 WORMS family Care Award for the Annual meeting:
Zhijie (Sasha) Dong (Texas State University)
Sogand Sabahfar (Kansas State University)
2018 WORMS family Care Award for the Annual meeting:
Nibal Albashabsheh (kansas State University)
(picture not available)
Yaarit Even (Columbia University)
Sevma Güven-Koçak (Georgia Institute of Technology)
Amira Hijazi (North Carolina State University)
Yuxin Wen (University of Texas at El Paso)
2018 WORMS family Care Award for the Analytics meeting:
Vahab Vahdatzad (Northeastern University)
2017 WORMS Family Care Award
WORMS awarded six professionals with the Family Care travel fund in 2017.
2016 WORMS Childcare Travel Fund
WORMS awarded three professionals with the Family Care travel fund in 2017.