2021 WORMS Family Care Award: Call for Applications
The WORMS Family Care Award aims to support INFORMS Annual Meeting attendees who are primary caregivers for a family member. The award will partially reimburse recipients for up to $500 in costs associated with care and/or travel for family members whose caregiver is participating in the INFORMS Annual Meeting at Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, CA, between October 24-27, 2021 (virtually or in-person). Approximately four grants will be awarded, with the exact number depending on available budget.
The INFORMS Minority Issues Forum (MIF) has also committed to supporting one deserving applicant who may qualify as an underrepresented minority. Refer to eligibility guidelines listed below to ensure you are being considered.
Eligibility: Applicants must be officially participating in the INFORMS Annual Meeting, including giving an oral or poster presentation, acting as session chair, or participating in the Combined Colloquia.
Eligibility is limited to current students, post-doctoral associates, or early career professionals (e.g., junior faculty or professionals in their first five years of post-graduate employment) who meet one of the following criteria:
Please notify in your application if you qualify to be considered as an underrepresented minority (refer to U.S. Code Government Publishing Office definitions here). This would make you eligible for the MIF award. If you have more questions about eligibility, please contact Ruben A. Proano at email@example.com.
- Parent or guardian of a child aged 12 years or younger who is either also traveling to the conference and/or requires additional care while the parent attends the conference.
- Primary caregiver for an elderly parent who is either also traveling to the conference and/or requires additional care while the caregiver attends the conference.
- Primary caregiver for a family member who requires additional assistance who is either also traveling to the conference and/or requires additional care while the caregiver attends the conference.
Application Procedure:Applicants should email India Williams (at firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following information and subject line “WORMS Family Care Award 2021” by September 17, 2021 October 1, 2021:
- Up to $500 in expenses will be reimbursed upon submission of receipts to INFORMS staff, to cover extra expenses related to the care of family members which are due to the caregiver attending the conference. This may include travel expenses for the family member and extra caregiving expenses at home or at the conference location.
- At most one grant will be awarded per family, and priority will be given to those who have never received the award in prior years.
- Award winners will also receive free membership of WORMS (and MIF if selected for that award) for a period of one year.
- Statement of need (not to exceed 200 words):
- Why is attendance at this conference important to you?
- How are you participating in the conference (e.g., are you giving an oral or poster presentation, acting as session chair or participating in the Combined Colloquia? Please provide the title of the presentation, session or Colloquium in which you are participating and your role.)
- Why do you need family care?
- What family care do you plan to arrange?
- Why are you requesting financial support?
- Estimated family care budget, including travel costs and/or caregiving expenses.
- Statement verifying applicant’s eligibility from applicant’s department chair or supervisor.
- Indication if you qualify to be considered as an underrepresented minority to be eligible for the INFORMS Minority Issues Forum (MIF) support.
Award Selection Process:
Recipients should submit all receipts for reimbursement to India Williams no later than 30 days following the conclusion of the conference.
Note: Family care must be arranged by the awardee. INFORMS and WORMS are not responsible for
identifying caregivers and are not liable for any damages.
Past recipients of the WORMS Family Care Award
2021 WORMS family Care Award for the Annual meeting:
Zhijie (Sasha) Dong (Texas State University)
Sogand Sabahfar (Kansas State University)
2018 WORMS family Care Award for the Annual meeting:
Nibal Albashabsheh (kansas State University)
(picture not available)
Yaarit Even (Columbia University)
Sevma Güven-Koçak (Georgia Institute of Technology)
Amira Hijazi (North Carolina State University)
Yuxin Wen (University of Texas at El Paso)
2018 WORMS family Care Award for the Analytics meeting:
Vahab Vahdatzad (Northeastern University)
2017 WORMS Family Care Award
WORMS awarded six professionals with the Family Care travel fund in 2017.
2016 WORMS Childcare Travel Fund
WORMS awarded three professionals with the Family Care travel fund in 2017.