2018 WORMS Family Care Award
The WORMS Family Care Award will partially reimburse recipients for up to $500 in costs associated with care and/or travel for family members whose caregiver is participating in the INFORMS Annual Meeting in Phoenix, AZ, November 14-17, 2018. Approximately five grants will be awarded, with the exact number depending on available budget.
Recipients must be current members of the Forum for Women in OR/MS (WORMS), who are officially participating in the INFORMS Annual Meeting, including giving an oral or poster presentation, acting as session chair, or participating in the Combined Colloquia.
Eligibility is limited to current students, post-doctoral associates, or early career professionals (e.g. junior faculty or professionals in their first five years of post-graduate employment) who meet one of the following criteria:
Parent or guardian of a child age 12 years or younger who is either also traveling to the conference and/or requires additional care while the parent attends the conference.
- Primary caregiver for an elderly parent who is either also traveling to the conference and/or requires additional care while the caregiver attends the conference.
- Primary caregiver for a family member who requires additional assistance who is either also traveling to the conference and/or requires additional care while the caregiver attends the conference.
Up to $500 in expenses will be reimbursed upon submittal of receipts to INFORMS staff to cover extra expenses related to the care of family members, which are due to the caregiver attending the conference. This may include travel expenses for the family member and extra caregiving expenses at home or at the conference location. At most one grant will be awarded per family, and priority will be given to those who have never received the award in prior years.
Applications are due September 3, 2018. Applicants should email Beth West email@example.com the following information with the subject line “WORMS Family Care Award”
- Statement of need (not to exceed 200 words):
- Why is attendance at this conference important to you?
- How are you participating in the conference (e.g., are you giving an oral or poster presentation, acting as session chair or participating in the Combined Colloquia? Please provide the title of the presentation, session or Colloquium you are participating in and your role.)
- Why do you need family care?
- What family care do you plan to arrange?
- Why are you requesting financial support?
- Estimated family care budget, including travel costs and/or caregiving expenses.
- Statement verifying applicant’s eligibility from applicant’s department chair or supervisor.
The President, President-Elect and Past-President of WORMS will appoint the selection committee from amongst the officers of WORMS. The selection committee will assess the applications based on their stated need for travel support. Recipients will be notified by the selection committee no later than September 17, 2018. Recipients should submit all receipts for reimbursement to Beth West no later than 30 days following the conclusion of the conference.
For inquiries please contact WORMS President Dorothee Honhon at Dorothee.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Family care must be arranged by the awardee. INFORMS and WORMS are not responsible for identifying caregivers and are not liable for any damages.
Past Winners of the Family Care Award
2017 WORMS Family Care Award
WORMS awarded six professionals with the Family Care travel fund in 2017.
2016 WORMS Childcare Travel Fund
WORMS awarded three professionals with the Family Care travel fund in 2017.