INFORM-ED (INSTITUTE for OPERATIONS RESEARCH and the MANAGEMENT SCIENCES EDUCATION FORUM)
ARTICLE I - NAME
The name of this organization shall be the Education Forum of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS). The name shall be abbreviated INFORM-ED
ARTICLE II - PURPOSE
1. To encourage interest in the field of operations research and the management sciences.
2. To encourage discussion and interaction among individuals having interest in the teaching of operations research and management sciences at institutions of higher education, and its relationship to the profession of operations research and the management sciences.
3. To advise the INFORMS Board, Committees, and Subdivisions on issues concerning the teaching of operations research and management sciences at institutions of higher education and to keep them apprised of developments in this area.
4. To encourage, support and provide workshops, programming, publications and other activities to enhance the teaching of operations research and management sciences.
ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP
1. Any persons interested in operations research and/or the management sciences may become a member of this Forum by completing a membership application and submitting it with the proper dues.
2. All members shall have equal rights, duties, and privileges. Dues shall be payable at the beginning of the Fall term each year.
3. Membership and participation shall be free from discrimination based on race, religion, ethnic group, national origin, handicap, sex, or sexual orientation.
4. Members are encouraged to actively participate in contributing to the goals of the Forum.
ARTICLE IV - OFFICERS
1. Officers of the organization and their duties shall be the following:
President Shall preside at meetings,provide notification of meetings and represent the Forum in external affairs. Shall maintain contact with the INFORMS liaison (as designated by the INFORMS Board) and shall file an annual report describing the Forum's activities and financial state.
Vice-President Programs Shall organize the cluster of the Forum at INFORMS meetings, shall be responsible for other local, national, and international seminars and meetings.
Vice-President Publications Shall be responsible for all Forum electronic and conventional publication activities. Shall serve as editor, or in consultation with the President appoint an editor, for each Forum publication, including the INFORM-ED website.
Treasurer/Secretary Shall be responsible for all financial matters, including all financial records and an annual financial statement to be included with the annual report. The treasurer shall keep accounts, deposit the organization's funds, and make expenditures in a fiscally sound manner. Shall take the minutes of Forum meetings.
Vice-President Projects Shall be responsible for new initiatives. Shall initiate, plan, implement, and institutionalize projects that advance the goals of the Forum. Shall seek counsel of the officers to prioritize among opportunities, and to seek assistance of Forum members.
2. Terms of Office: The terms of each office shall be two years. Each officer will be elected at the Fall meeting of the Forum. The elected officer must receive a plurality of the votes cast by members present.
3. Nominations: At the penultimate meeting, the officers shall nominate at least one candidate for each of the officer positions being filled. Additional nominations may be made by petition signed by at least three members or from the floor of an election meeting.
4. Voting: Elections shall be held by secret ballot at the last general meeting of the Officer's term of office. A plurality of ballots cast by members for each office shall be necessary for election. Ties shall be resolved by means of fair random processes.
5. Replacement of Officers. Should an Officer resign before completion of the term of office, the Officers shall appoint a replacement to complete the term.
ARTICLE V - MEETINGS
The Forum will meet at the Fall INFORMS Meeting. Additional meetings may be held. The time, place and agenda of each meeting shall be set by the Officers and announced in advance by the President.
ARTICLE VI - RESPONSIBILITIES TO INFORMS
The Forum and its officers, under Charter from INFORMS, are accountable to the Institute for all operations and procedures. The INFORMS Board may suspend or revoke the Charter of the Forum for inappropriate operations and/or procedures.
ARTICLE VII - DUES
Dues are $10 per year for INFORMS members, $15 for non-members, free for students.
ARTICLE VIII - AMENDMENTS
Amendments to the Bylaws may be made in any meeting following announcement in a previous meeting or by the President. The President, no later than seven days before the next meeting, shall submit in writing the proposed Amendment to all members of the Forum and the vote will occur at the next meeting. The Amendment must be approved by two-thirds of the members present. Following approval by the Chapter, the Amendment must be sent to the INFORMS Vice President for Subdivisions who will present the Amendment to the INFORMS Board. The Amendment becomes effective when approved by the INFORMS Board.
This document last changed November 20, 1999
For questions regarding the INFORM-ED bylaws contact INFORM-ED's current president.