The INFORMS Health Applications Society (HAS) is proud to sponsor the student paper competition. Four finalists will be selected for papers judged to be the best in the field of Health Applications (in terms of both methodology and potential for impact). The first prize winner is accompanied by a $500 honorarium; the second prize winner is accompanied by a $300 honorarium; and each of the remaining two finalists is accompanied by a $100 honorarium. The prize winners will be announced at the 2017 INFORMS Conference on Healthcare in Rotterdam, July 26-28. In addition to the monetary honorariums, all four finalists will have their registration fees waived at the conference.
There are three conditions for eligibility:
- Entrant must have been a student on or after December 1, 2016, and the research presented in the paper must have been conducted while the entrant was a student.
- The submitted paper must present original research conducted primarily by the student. The paper can be co-authored with other individuals including the advisor(s) of the student. However, the students’ contribution must be such that they are listed as first author.
- Entrant must be a member of HAS on the date of submission (see informs.org/Community/HAS or call INFORMS Member Services at 1-800-446-3676 for information on how to become an INFORMS/HAS member).
Furthermore, all finalists must present their work in a special session at the conference (presentation quality will be taken into account in deciding the first and second prize winners). All applicants are also encouraged to submit abstracts of their work separately for oral or poster presentation in a regular conference session. The conference rule of one talk per speaker will be relaxed for the four finalists so that they can present in the finalists session as well.
The following submission requirements will be strictly enforced
- A cover letter
- Prepared by the entrant in accordance with the template file available at CoverLetterTemplate
- The filename of the submitted cover letter should be EntrantLastName_CoverLetter.pdf
- The PDF paper
- Completely anonymous; author(s) names should not appear on the paper.
- The formatting standards for submitting a paper to major INFORMS journals apply. See http://pubsonline.informs.org/page/mnsc/submission-guidelines
- 36-page limit (1.5 line spacing) including the main body, figures, tables, and any appendices, but excluding the list of references. The statements of theorems, propositions, and other technical results may be given in the main body, but all proofs of technical results as well as unessential/supplementary figures/tables should be placed in appendices.
- The filename of the submitted paper should be ShortTitleOfThePaper.pdf
- A letter from the advisor
- Completed and signed by entrant’s advisor. Download the template file at AdvisorForm.
- The filename of the submitted advisor letter should be EntrantLastName_AdvisorLetter.pdf
All three items must be sent as e-mail attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete entries must be received on or before Friday, January 27, 2017.
E-mail email@example.com if you have any questions.
Sarang Deo, Indian School of Business
Greg Zaric, University of Western Ontario, Ivey Business School
Purpose of the Award
Recognizes research excellence among future scholars dedicated to the field of healthcare management science.