Four finalists for the Best Student Paper Award will be selected to make presentations at the INFORMS 2017 Annual Meeting in Houston, Texas. The winner will be announced at the Social Media Analytics business meeting later at the conference. All finalists will receive an award certificate and 3 years free Social Media Analytics membership. The winner will also receive a plaque. The Best Student Paper Award is to be presented annually at the Social Media Analytics Section meeting during the INFORMS annual meeting. All finalists’ papers will be posted on the Social Media Analytics Section webpage, unless requested otherwise.
The broad criteria for selecting the recipient of the Social Media Analytics Best Student Paper Award are:
(a) Academic significance (originality, depth, and completeness of the work and its potential impact on future research);
(b) Engineering or business relevance (importance of the problem and its impact on engineering or business practice).
Eligibility Requirements and Application Process:
Award nominees must be a student member of the Social Media Analytics Section.
Paper topic must fit the Social Media Analytics themes.
The student must be the first author. Moreover, a formal, signed statement by the student's advisor should be (ideally) submitted along with the paper affirming that the majority of the original results presented in the paper are due to the student rather than the advisor or other collaborators involved in the work.
The paper must be completed during the first author’s undergraduate or graduate studies.
- Previous finalists who wish to compete again should submit an entirely different paper.
- The student must be committed to present the paper at a special session on either Sunday (the first day), or Monday (the second day) of the annual INFORMS conference.
Finalists may not be announced until other INFORMS sessions are already organized. Thus, papers considered for this competition MAY be simultaneously submitted to other sessions at the INFORMS conference. If a finalist is scheduled to present in another session, then they will present the paper twice: once in the Social Media Analytics Best Student Paper Competition session on Monday/Sunday and once in their previously scheduled session.
- Social Media Analytics Section does NOT own copyrights of the paper.
- Submitted Paper Format: The paper should be 4-6 pages, single-spaced, with two columns in 10 point Times Roman or Times New Roman typeface. Margins should be 1 inch or more. Papers should begin with a 50 word abstract.
- Submission deadline: June 15, 2017
- Finalists announced: August 15, 2017
Cover letters and papers should be submitted combined as **one** PDF to https://www.dropbox.com/request/la0rcdyhSUudco04nvcu and addressed to Michel Ballings (http://ballings.co/). Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.