M&SOM Society Award for Responsible Research in Operations Management
Nomination Deadline: April 1, 2021
Goal: The purpose of responsible research is to encourage studies contributing knowledge that may have implications for making the world a better place by informing evidence-based, high-quality, and societally beneficial organizational practices across the business, government, and non-government organizations.
We call for nominations of published work that exemplifies the four principles of responsible research:
Principle 1-Service to Society: Research aims to develop knowledge that benefits business/ organizations and the broader society, locally and globally, for the ultimate purpose of creating a better world.
Principle 2-Stakeholder Involvement: Research has been conducted via a process that values the involvement of different stakeholders who can play a critical role at various stages of the scientific process, without compromising the independence of inquiry (e.g., ethical identification of results and reporting of data).
Principle 3-Impact on Stakeholders: Research has an impact on diverse stakeholders and helps contribute to better business and a better world.
Principle 4- Broad Dissemination: Research has contributed to diverse forms of knowledge dissemination that collectively advance basic knowledge and practice.
This award is co-sponsored by the Community for Responsible Research for Business and Management (RRBM), a virtual organization "dedicated to inspiring, encouraging, and supporting credible and useful research in the business and management disciplines." Initially developed by 24 leading scholars in five disciplines at 23 business schools in ten countries, the organization now has nearly 1000 signatories and 50 institutional partners, including many business schools.
Review Committees and Process: A review committee, consisting of 4 - 6 members (based on the volume of submissions), will be appointed by the MSOM President; committee members will be comprised of recognized senior faculty, drawing from a diverse set of research areas.
Submission Criteria: We accept nomination or self-nomination of a single research article or research book in the English language that meets the following criteria:
- The article should be published (or accepted) in a refereed journal or the book by a university or academic press in the five years of 2016 to 2020.
- Research should focus on timely topics related to current and future challenges of managing or leading an organization (for-profit business, entrepreneurial firms, social enterprises, non-profit, government, etc.) and in any region of the world.
- Research should exemplify the four principles of responsible research outlined above.
Submission Procedure: Please submit the following nomination materials to the Award Committee Chair, President Elect Feryal Erhun (email@example.com) by April 1, 2021.
- A PDF copy of the article or the book (a pre-print finalized manuscript is acceptable).
- A cover letter that describes why this work (research article or book) deserves to be considered for the award, in two single-spaced pages. Please include the nominee's current affiliation and contact information (phone and email address), as well as the nominator's name, affiliation, and contact information in the cover letter.
If possible, the cover letter should provide (a) evidence on the "usefulness" of the research, i.e., how it has made a positive impact on practice or society, and (b) information on how this work has been disseminated to stakeholders beyond the academic community. Evidence of impact (number of people or stakeholders impacted and/or reports on the metric(s) used to assess the impact of the work) is highly desirable.
Evaluation Criteria: While research may not satisfy every criterion, the submissions will be assessed along the four principles of responsible research outlined above.
The award decision will be announced on or before the MSOM Business Meeting at INFORMS 2021. Award winners will receive a plaque (to be presented at INFORMS 2021 Business Meeting) and a $500 award (to be shared among multiple winners).