INFORMS Open Forum

• 1.  A piece of history from IFORS 1969

Posted 17 days ago
    Eight men attending the IFORS Triennial Conference in 1969, in Venice, Italy

INFORMS Members,

On behalf of the INFORMS History & Traditions Committee, I'm sharing the above photo, which was sent to INFORMS by John Lathrop, Ph.D. The photo shows eight men at the 1969 IFORS Triennial Conference in Venice, Italy. We know the names of only three of them: Hugh Miser is standing on the far left, Jack Lathrop is standing on the far right, and Phil Morse is seated in the center. We have not been able to identify the others, so we're asking for this community's help. If you recognize anyone else in this photo, please post a reply or contact me directly at linus.schrage@chicagobooth.edu

Many thanks to John Lathrop (Jack's son) for sharing this photo that brings O.R. history to life!

------------------------------
    Linus Schrage
    President, Professor
    LINDO Systems, Inc.
    Chicago IL

• 2.  RE: A piece of history from IFORS 1969

Posted 13 days ago

Linus, thanks for sharing! While I cannot help you with this photo, I would be interested in learning more about OR history. Where can members find other photos and interesting tidbits about OR history?

Laura

Laura Albert
    2024 INFORMS Past-President
    Professor and David H. Gustafson Chair
    University of Wisconsin-Madison

• 3.  RE: A piece of history from IFORS 1969

Posted 12 days ago

Laura:

Thank you very much for your interest.  The best place for learning about the history of ORMS is the History-of-OR/History and Traditions (H&T) website:
    https://www.informs.org/Explore/History-of-O.R.-Excellence

Much of the content of the H&T website is due to the work of Mark Eisner.  He gives a nice overview in this article: https://pubsonline.informs.org/do/10.1287/orms.2015.05.13/full/

Will Thomas has helped out with writing some of the history, he has a follow-on article here: 
    https://pubsonline.informs.org/do/10.1287/orms.2015.03.08/full/

If you want to take a quick look at the H&T website , here is a quick summary of Mark’s article.

Oral/Video histories:   I find the video interview with Egon Balas entertaining and informative.

Biographical profiles:  Including past presidents of INFORMS.  Let me know if updates are appropriate.

Further down the website:

History of institutions:

Case Institute of Technology history is a good example for academic institutions.

RAND history is a good example for non-academic.

Subject Area histories is another interesting section. The one on Optimization/ Math Programming is quite thorough.

What to do with regard to History of ORMS?

•         We need new younger members of the H&T committee.
    •         We need  more essays/articles on various areas. For example, perhaps a history of ORMS at U. Wisconsin?

One thing I have noticed is that there are lots of specific histories of ORMS scattered over the web, such as departmental histories.  We try to have links to them from the H&T website, but there is the problem of broken links.  Departments move these essays around, so the links no longer work. 

So, for someone interested in the history of ORMS,  it is useful to have these specific histories collected in one place, on the H&T website.

Thanks again for your interest,
    Linus

Linus Schrage
    President, Professor
    LINDO Systems, Inc.
    Chicago IL