O.R. & Analytics Student Team Competition 2019
An INFORMS competition that provides real-world workplace experience for undergraduate and master’s level students.
Student teams are given the same business problem, data sets and access to software to solve a challenging problem using an O.R./analytics approach. A panel of industry and academic experts judge written submissions based on teams’ use of the full analytics process, from framing the problem to methodology selection, data use, model building and innovation. Teams selected as finalists present their solutions to a judging panel at the INFORMS Business Analytics Conference in April 2019, with the winners announced at the conference. Students:
- Gain practical experience in taking a business problem and solution through the complete O.R./analytics decision process.
- Work on a real business problem, of critical importance to the company serving as Title Sponsor. The 2019 Title Sponsor is General Motors (GM).
- Take advantage of opportunities to interact with the Title Sponsor’s technical and management personnel.
- Demonstrate skills in communication, teamwork, and presentation.
- Win valuable prizes for team members and prestige for their school. Awards are: $7,500 First Prize, $5,000 Second Prize, $3,500 Third Prize, and 3 Honorable Mention awards at $1,000 each.
The registration deadline has passed. However, teams interested in registering late should email firstname.lastname@example.org to request permission. The deadline to submit an entry is January 25, 2019. Teams must register before submitting an entry. While some opportunities to interact with General Motors staff and Committee experts have already taken place, late-registering teams will have access to recordings of webinars, as well as written questions submitted by teams with answers provided.
Terry Cryan, Special Projects Associate