INFORMS Open Forum

To My Younger Self 2022: A Mentoring Initiative to Bridge the Gap Between Who You Are and Who You Want to B

• 1.  To My Younger Self 2022: A Mentoring Initiative to Bridge the Gap Between Who You Are and Who You Want to B

Posted 11-06-2023 03:01

"Hello everyone,

I recently came across a thought-provoking blog on INFORMS titled 'To My Younger Self 2022: A Mentoring Initiative to Bridge the Gap Between Who You Are and Who You Want to Be' by Shikha Safaya from the Scheller College of Business, Georgia Tech (Direct Link to Blog).

The blog discusses a pressing issue in academia and beyond - gender bias. Despite efforts, women still represent a smaller portion of the research community, particularly in STEM fields, and often face numerous obstacles in career advancement. The COVID-19 pandemic further widened this gap as many women academics took on additional domestic responsibilities. 'To My Younger Self' (TMYS) emerges as an INFORMS DEI Ambassadors and Women in ORMS initiative, aiming to empower young women doctoral students through mentorship, professional development, and network building.

My journey resonates with the TMYS initiative's core mission. As someone who stepped into academia with an array of uncertainties and the daunting task of establishing oneself, the concept of having a structured mentorship program tailored to women's unique challenges would have been a beacon. However, my experience slightly diverges as the academic environment I was part of, fortunately, had an emphasis on gender parity and active support systems that made the gender bias less pronounced.

The question I'd like to bring to the discussion is how we can further these initiatives to not only assist women but also create an inclusive environment that extends similar support to other underrepresented groups in academia. Have you had experiences that could benefit from such mentorship? How can we tailor programs like TMYS to cater to a wider audience, ensuring diversity and inclusivity in all aspects?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences.

Best

Rachita Harit

------------------------------
    Rachita Harit
    UC Davis
    San Francisco CA
    ------------------------------