INFORMS Open Forum

Thoughts and Reflection toward "To My Younger Self 2022"

• 1.  Thoughts and Reflection toward "To My Younger Self 2022"

Posted 11-04-2023 13:14
    Hello everyone – I've been reading the Diversity Blogs and came across an interesting piece called 'To My Younger Self 2022: A Mentoring Initiative to Bridge the Gap Between Who You Are and Who You Want to Be.' https://connect.informs.org/diversity/diversity-blog/mentoring-initative. The blog by Shikha Safaya at the Scheller College of Business, Georgia Tech, discusses "To My Younger Self (TMYS)," an initiative aimed at mentoring women doctoral students to aid in their professional development. This program, which includes personal coaching and various workshops, seeks to empower female doctoral candidates by providing them with the skills, confidence, and networks needed to thrive in their future careers. The need for such a program is underscored by the ongoing gender bias in academia, particularly in STEM fields, where women are underrepresented and often face additional challenges.
    Similar to Safaya's reflections, my own experience resonates with the value of networking in academia. Being part of a research community, I have found that networking not only fosters professional collaborations but also provides a support system that is vital for personal growth and career advancement.
    Where my experience diverges from the blog is in the aspect of mentorship dynamics. While Safaya emphasizes the structured mentor-mentee relationships within TMYS, my journey lacked formal mentorship, relying more on peer support and self-directed learning, which sometimes led to a sense of isolation and a need for more guided navigation through the academic landscape.
    I'm eager to learn more about the experiences of others with mentorship programs like TMYS. Have you found structured mentorship to be more beneficial than informal networks? Or perhaps you've encountered different challenges as a woman in academia or STEM? I invite you to share your thoughts and engage in a discussion on how we can further support diversity and bridge gaps in our professional fields.

------------------------------
    Florentina Vania Santosa
    UC Davis
    San Francisco CA
    ------------------------------