INFORMS Open Forum

Expand all | Collapse all

If you had one month and a $1,000,000 budget to tackle any work project, what would it be?

• 1.  If you had one month and a $1,000,000 budget to tackle any work project, what would it be?

Posted 02-10-2023 21:18

I would give myself 29 days to set up 10 endowment funds for perpetual scholarships in my field of interest at my favorite research institutions. And then I would take a day off!

------------------------------
    Jacqueline Csonka-Peeren
    Cognitive/AI Systems
    IBM
    Toronto ON

• 2.  RE: If you had one month and a $1,000,000 budget to tackle any work project, what would it be?

Posted 02-11-2023 09:07

Great idea, Jacqueline.

I would also set up scholarships at select institutions (who have staff to select recipients, sustain the funds through investments and donations) and require recipients serve their local (or online) community (e.g. mentor, tutor, organize webinars/seminars/career panels/trainings/, etc.). They can choose the tasks and should spend at minimum 30 hrs/year serving for each year they are on the scholarship. I expect these students to work with existing resources within their universities and professional chapters. 

I am on the organizing team of the Student-Organized Colloquium (SOC) 2023 which is a two-day event--virtual July 19th and hybrid July 23, the first day of the International System Dynamics Conference (ISDC). Volunteer recruitment and scholarships (to attend the Summer Schools and in-person ISDC) are current "work projects." The Student-Organized Colloquium is a free event with student plenary speakers, poster sessions, an expert keynote speaker(s) who will provide advice for students, dedicated time for one-on-one advising for student projects by an angel advisors, and guided open discussions for community building and networking. Please consider attending the SOC if you are interested in systems thinking or system dynamics. Everyone is welcome. 

Original post by Horia Tipi

https://connect.informs.org/discussion/if-you-had-one-month-and-a-1000000-budget-to-tackle-any-work-project-what-would-it-be

Christine Tang
    Worcester Polytechnic Institute / New Mexico State University / New Mexico Water Resources Research Institute
    Richmond TX