INFORMS Open Forum

Discusion about the blog "To My Younger Self 2022: A Mentoring Initiative to Bridge the Gap Between Who You Are and Who You Want to Be."

• 1.  Discusion about the blog "To My Younger Self 2022: A Mentoring Initiative to Bridge the Gap Between Who You Are and Who You Want to Be."

Posted 10-31-2023 01:01

Hi all - Just delved into a thought-provoking piece on the INFORMS Diversity Blog, aptly named "To My Younger Self 2022: A Mentoring Initiative to Bridge the Gap Between Who You Are and Who You Want to Be." (To My Younger Self 2022). It sheds light on a tiered mentoring program fostering professional growth for women doctoral students in academia, addressing the gender bias and challenges they face. The program is designed to create a supportive network, enhance professional skills, and improve self-confidence.

This mirrors my experience as my academic pursuits have been profoundly shaped by the guidance of mentors who provided invaluable insights and support. As a woman, I am well aware of some of the injustices that women receive in the workplace and academia (even if the phenomenon is not subjective, the statistics tell the truth). I think it's important to improve the treatment of women in academia, and talent shouldn't be defined by gender. 

I'm intrigued to learn about how mentorship has impacted your career trajectory. Did you have access to formal mentoring programs, or did you find mentorship in less structured environments? How has this influenced your professional choices and success? Excited to engage in this dialogue with you all!

------------------------------
    Yujia Yang
    University of California, Davis
    San Francisco CA
    ------------------------------