INFORMS Open Forum

DAS Webinar September 23, 11:30 a.m.: David V Budescu

• 1.  DAS Webinar September 23, 11:30 a.m.: David V Budescu

Posted 09-20-2022 12:53

Dear Colleagues, 

We are excited to welcome you in a few days to our incoming Decision Analysis Society webinar! 

Date 

Time 

Speaker 

September 23 

11:30 AM ET 

David V. Budescu, The Anne Anastasi Professor of Quantitative Psychology at Fordham University 

Title: Adventures in Translational Research: The IARPA Geopolitical Forecasting Tournaments 

Abstract: Over the last 10 years I was part of teams that participated in two large-scale multi-institutional forecasting tournaments sponsored by the Intelligence Advanced Research Project Activity (IARPA).  The tournaments involved elicitation of probabilistic forecasts regarding geopolitical events from large groups of, non-professional, volunteers and the optimal (accuracy maximizing) aggregation of these forecasts. I will describe some of the projects seeking to answer practical questions about the size and composition of the groups, early prediction of forecasting skills and the benefits of teaming. I will use this presentation to highlight some of the differences, and the interplay, between basic (theory driven) and translational research. 

The webinar will be held through the Zoom online platform. To access the link, please open the following webpage: 

https://connect.informs.org/das/events/webinars 

and then click on the "Join Webinar here" blue button. 

------------------------------
    Emanuele Borgonovo
    President, Decision Analysis Society of INFORMS, 2020-2022
    Bocconi University, Milano, Italy
    ------------------------------