INFORMS Open Forum

Bridging the Gap in Academia: A Reflection on "To My Younger Self 2022"

• 1.  Bridging the Gap in Academia: A Reflection on "To My Younger Self 2022"

Posted 11-22-2023 14:45

Hi all - I was reviewing Shikha Safaya's "To My Younger Self 2022: A Mentoring Initiative to Bridge the Gap Between Who You Are and Who You Want to Be" (https://connect.informs.org/diversity/diversity-blog/to-my-younger-self-2022-a-mentoring-initiative)

This blog addresses gender bias in academia and emphasizes the challenges that women face, especially in STEM fields. It highlights the "To My Younger Self" (TMYS) program, an INFORMS DEI Ambassadors and Women in ORMS initiative that supports women doctoral students with professional development through mentorship and networking.

As a woman in academia, I resonate with the experiences outlined in the blog. The struggle for recognition, equal pay, and advancement echoes my journey. I have often found myself second-guessing my abilities, which this blog accurately captures as a common issue among women academics due to societal and self-imposed pressures.

However, I have been fortunate to work in an environment that actively challenges gender biases and offers substantial support for women. While the blog reflects a broader trend, it's encouraging to see that some institutions are making significant progress toward gender parity and inclusivity.

This blog and the program serve as vital reminders of the collective efforts needed to close the gender gap. It's important to continue such initiatives and expand them to reach more women across different disciplines. What are other ways in which we can support women in their academic and professional growth?

------------------------------
    Sreeja Macha
    UC Davis
    San Francisco CA
    ------------------------------