INFORMS Open Forum

Version 3.1.0 of Decision Modeling

• 1.  Version 3.1.0 of Decision Modeling

Posted 06-24-2022 11:00

My free-to-download book called Decision Modeling covers the modeling of linear and integer programming, sensitivity analysis, goal and non-linear programming, and decision analysis. Problem solutions are obtained using both LINGO and the Excel Solver. The use of LINGO is in scalar mode, which avoids the use of sets, thereby making things easier for the intended audience of business students doing a survey course on optimization.

Even if you are teaching an OR course which overlaps only part of the coverage of this pdf, you might wish to include it in a reading list. It is and will always remain a free resource.

Over the past couple of weeks, a reader of my Decision Modeling book, Andrew Jesso, sent me dozens of corrections/suggestions. His name now appears in the Acknowledgements section on page ii, item 5. In addition, I have made many changes to the preamble, deleting the list of version numbers and dates, changing the ``CC Licence'' section to "Copying and Redistribution", re-writing the Preface, and re-ordering the items. I have also retired five questions used in an assignment in Fall, 2021, and these have been imbedded into the book.

Today a new version of Decision Modeling was issued. Version 3.1.0 can be downloaded for free from:

https://linney.mun.ca/pages/view.php?ref=36808

Because of the new questions, and the re-ordering of other questions, plus a few minor changes here and there, most of the solutions files for the end-of-chapter problems have been revised. These nine pdf files can be requested by contacting me at dtulett@mun.ca.

--
    David M. Tulett, PhD
    Associate Professor
    Faculty of Business Administration
    Memorial University
    St. John's, NL, Canada, A1B 3X5
    dtulett@mun.ca
    “... read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest ...”

We acknowledge that the lands on which Memorial University’s campuses are situated are in the traditional territories of diverse Indigenous groups, and we acknowledge with respect the diverse histories and cultures of the Beothuk, Mi’kmaq, Innu, and Inuit of this province.