Sanjay and Panna Mehrotra Research Excellence Award
The Health Applications Society (HAS) of INFORMS sponsors an annual competition for the Sanjay and Panna Mehrotra Research Excellence Award, which recognizes a mid-career researcher for significant contributions to the practice of health applications through operations research (OR) and management science (MS) modeling and methodologies. The award is named after Professor Sanjay Mehrotra and his wife, in recognition of Professor Mehrotra's contributions and dedication to translating OR/MS modeling and methodology research to practice so as to improve the quality and efficiency of healthcare systems, and will be presented at the Health Applications Society Business Meeting at the INFORMS annual meeting. Dr. Mehrotra is a professor in the Department of Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences at Northwestern University, and serves on the Editorial Board of numerous operations research journals.
The award includes an honorarium of $1,000. The winner will also receive a certificate and a winner's plaque; all other finalists will receive certificates.
1. A demonstrable effort in translating OR/MS modeling and methodology research to practice
2. Contributions to the practice of health applications through OR/MS models and methodologies, evidenced by measurable health-related outcomes
3. Contributions to OR/MS models or methodologies
Assistant/associate professor (tenure-track/tenured, or non-tenured) position in an academic institution, or a healthcare professional with less than fifteen years of experience since MS degree (by the time of award presentation at the INFORMS annual meeting). The applicant must not have been a winner in a previous Sanjay and Panna Mehrotra Research Excellence Award Competition.
To be considered for the award, an application package must be submitted by the application deadline to the Chair of the Sanjay and Panna Mehrotra Research Excellence Award Committee (see Application Process details below).
The 2020 Sanjay and Panna Mehrotra Research Excellence Award Committee will be chaired by Edwin Romeijn (ISyE, Georgia Tech). Candidates will be judged by the Award Committee based on:
Up to three finalists will be selected and invited to present their work at the 2020 INFORMS annual meeting (which will be held November 8-11, 2020 in National Harbor, MD) in a session sponsored by the Health Applications Society and devoted to the competition. The Award Committee reserves the right not to award a prize in any given year. If all submissions are judged by the Award Committee to be of insufficient quality to select finalists, the selection committee may declare that the competition is deserted for the current year.
A complete application must consist of the following documents submitted in a single PDF file:
1. A curriculum vitae of the applicant, which must include the applicant's complete educational and professional history with degree dates, and the applicant's entire research portfolio on health applications.
2. A 3-4 page statement (excluding the references cited in the document) in English that summarizes the applicant's use of OR/MS models and methodologies to address significant problems that arise in health systems, the developed solutions, the effort conducted for translating research results to practice, and the impact on practice (demonstrated through measurable health-related outcomes).
3. Two letters from practitioners that detail the significance of the problems studied by the applicant and the practical impact of the applicant's research.
4. Up to four manuscripts (published or under review) written by the applicant.
5. A one-page statement describing the future research goals of the applicant in health applications.
6. Written commitment, if selected as a finalist, to make a high quality, 30-minute presentation for the Sanjay and Panna Mehrotra Research Excellence Award session organized by the HAS at the 2020 INFORMS annual meeting.
All application materials including support letters should be submitted via email to MehrotraAward2020@gmail.com no later than June 30, 2020.
About Professor Sanjay Mehrotra
Professor Mehrotra earned his Ph.D. in Operations Research from Columbia University in 1986. He was a vice-chair of the INFORMS optimization section on computational optimization and software, a co-director of the Optimization Technology Center at Northwestern University and Argonne National Research Lab. He is the department editor for Optimization for the journal IISE Transactions. He is on the editorial board of Operations Research, Asia Pacific Journal of Operations Research, Intl. Journal of Information Systems in the Service Sector, and a co-coordinator for optimization-online. Previously he has served on the editorial boards of Mathematical Programming, International Journal on Modelling. He has been the vice-president of chapter/fora and the member of Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences.
The Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences
phone 1 443-757-3500
phone 2 800-4INFORMS (800-446-3676)